Copyright © 2022 Walk With Me. All Rights Reserved. All the photos and information in this blog are under the copyright. Kindly seek the permission of the blogger in case if need for the use of non commercial purposes.

Thursday 22 February 2018

15.02.2018 Jeram and Pantai Remis

Jeram and Pantai Remis area are the neighbouring coastal area to Sungai Janggut. Despite of their names 'Pantai Jeram" and "Pantai Remis" are not a suitable place for beach activities in my opinion. However both are great place for birding.

I arrived early at Jeram, around 8:30a.m. and spent some time at a wooded area near the coast. After taking 5 to 6 snaps of a Laced Woodpecker and Crested Serpent Eagle, the camera popped up a message, mentioning "card is full". Gosh! I realised I did not formatted the memory card. What a waste! I had to format it along with the woodpecker and the eagle's pictures. I was a bit upset but I have no choice. After formatted the card, I moved to a cluster of bamboo where I saw Common Ioras were happily singing. The males started with their long whistle tune while spreading the head and back feathers.

Common Iora - Male (Aegithina tiphia)
Yellow Vented Bulbul (Pycnonotus goiavier)
I found a lonely Pink Necked Green Pigeon, feeding on Melastoma fruits. Melastoma malabathricum or locally known as "senduduk", bear fruits which is fed by many types of birds including the green pigeon, bulbuls and even flowerpeckers. The leaves are used by the locals for preparing remedies for leucorrhea and treating wounds.

Pink Necked Green Pigeon - Male (Treron vernans)
I drove off to the coast and saw something "big" clinging high on a dead coconut tree. Its a Water Monitor, sunning itself on a dead coconut tree.

Asian Water Monitor (Varanus salvator macromaculatus)
Then I proceed to the coastal area for the waders. The tide was way too low and the waders were quite far away from the coast. Lucky that some are still near to me. I managed to shoot Common Redshank and Lesser Sand Plover. The sand flies are a nuisance here, as they annoy me during the shots. I was keep on moving just to avoid them. Unlike Sungai Janggut coast, this area is infested with Little Heron.

Common Redshank (Tringa totanus)
Lesser Sand Plover (Charadrius mongolus)
Little Heron (Butorides striata)
Little Heron (Butorides striata) in flight
Little Heron (Butorides striata) in flight
Barn Swallow (Hirundo rustica)
Once done with Jeram, I drove to Pantai Remis coast. Here I found two new entry to my bird list. It was a pair of Copper Throated Sunbird and a Whimbrel. Whimbrels are distinguished from Eurasian Curlew by their shorter curved bill. Eastern Curlews are much bigger and they have a paler face, compared to the Whimbrels.

Copper Throated Sunbird - Female (Leptocoma calcostetha)
Copper Throated Sunbird - Female (Leptocoma calcostetha)
Copper Throated Sunbird - Male (Leptocoma calcostetha)
Copper Throated Sunbird - The Couple (Leptocoma calcostetha)
Common Redshank (Tringa totanus)
Whimbrel (Numenius phaeopus)

No comments:

Post a Comment