Copyright © 2022 Walk With Me. All Rights Reserved. All the photos and information in this blog are under the copyright. Kindly seek the permission of the blogger in case if need for the use of non commercial purposes.

Saturday 10 February 2018

03.02.2018 Again at Jalan Kebun

I came back to Jalan Kebun, and its another hot day as well. I again went to the big dead tree looking for kingfishers, but bumped with a pair of Blue Tailed Bee-eater. They are quite near to me, so I decide not to move too much. This was the time I tested to shoot in manual mode and it really give good result instead of fully depending on the camera's auto settings. I can say Blue Tailed Bee-eaters are not that common in the northern states since I didn't even find a single bird in Perak. Blue Throated Bee-eaters are much common there.

Blue Tailed Bee-eater (Merops philippinus)

Blue Tailed Bee-eater (Merops philippinus)

Bee-eaters are known as "Panchuruttaan" (பஞ்சுருட்டான்) in Tamil. Since they look like a bow and arrow during their flight, they carry the Sanskrit name, which means "Vishnu's Bow. According to the Malaysian folklore, Bee-eaters are often associated with a ghoul, locally called as "Hantu Tinggi", literally means "Tall Demon" in Malay. Bee-eaters are used as an indicator for incoming thunderstorms by the locals as well.

Blue Tailed Bee-eater (Merops philippinus)

Then I found a White Throated Kingfisher perching on the dead tree as well. I had the difficulty to place myself well since so many dead twigs blocking my view. There were a pair of Common Ioras too perching on the same tree. I had a tough time to focus on it since its quite a distance for a small bird.

White Throated Kingfisher (Halcyon smyrnensis perpulchra)

Common Iora (Aegithina tiphia)

Black Naped Oriole (Oriolus chinensis diffusus)

Spotted Dove (Spilopelia chinensis tigrina)

Zebra Dove (Geopelia striata)
I manage to get a shot on a male Scarlet Backed Flowerpecker, while it was having its breakfast on a Jamaican Cherry Tree. I was pretty close to it and manage to take the shots, since it would be troublesome for me to manage with such a small and fast moving bird in a far distance. Its feeds on the cherries in a similar way that it feeds on the mistletoe fruits (Dendrophthoe pentandra); it squeezes out the pulp and eats it, then the skin is thrown away.

Scarlet Backed Flowerpecker (Dicaeum cruentatum)
It was indeed a fruitful day. I will be back to this spot for more photos. 

No comments:

Post a Comment