Copyright © 2022 Walk With Me. All Rights Reserved. All the photos and information in this blog are under the copyright. Kindly seek the permission of the blogger in case if need for the use of non commercial purposes.

Thursday 8 February 2018

06.01.2018 Birding Around Kampong Lombong (Klang)

Kampong Lombong is located along the by pass route or the "short cut" route from Klang to Puchong. It is an excellent location for birding since I had witnessed many interesting types of birds while I drove by this place. It is also near to a river and lake, making it a hangout location for many water birds. It is a good location to practice on photographing as I just got my gear; Nikon D5500 and Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6 G lens.

Weather was good. I picked a location under a large flowering Acacia tree (Acacia mangium). Some birds were already busy looking for insects on that tree. I just begin to shoot on wild flowers under the tree with the kit lens. I found balsam apple and white snakeweed grown in abundance here.

Balsam Apple (Momordica balsamina) blossom.
Balsam apple, not really an apple or even related to, yet they are closely related to the bitter gourds. They are creepers and commonly found in or near the oil palm plantations. Most websites cited that the balsam apple is poisonous, but they are regarded as a remedy to cleanse the blood circulatory system by the siddha medicinal practitioners. The fruits are not that bitter unlike their cousins, the bitter gourds.

White Sankeweed (Stachytarpheta australis)
As the birds are cheerfully singing around, I didn't have much patience to try on the 70 - 300mm lens to get the birds. I bumped on Olive Backed Sunbirds, vigorously harvesting insects on the Acacia tree.

Olive Backed Sunbird - Female (Cinnyris jugularis)
To my surprise I saw a tiny brown bird perching on one of the branches. A new bird to my list! It was an Asian Brown Flycatcher on a high perch.

Asian Brown Flycatcher (Muscicapa dauurica)
Then came a pair of Black Naped Orioles also foraging for insects on the same. I managed to get a shot of a juvenile male. I then decided to drove off to home but I did stopped at a spot along Jalan Kebun to get some photos. I found a pair of Pink Necked Green Pigeons perching on a small white leafed fig tree which was well concealed by bushes. They saw me too but allowed me to take the shots.

 Black Naped Oriole - Male Juv. (Oriolus chinensis diffusus)

A pair of Pink Necked Green Pigeon (Treron vernans)
I managed to get a shot of a Purple Heron perching high up on a tree before I reach home. I spent only 2 hours today yet it was indeed worthy.

Purple Heron (Ardea purpurea manilensis)


No comments:

Post a Comment