Copyright © 2022 Walk With Me. All Rights Reserved. All the photos and information in this blog are under the copyright. Kindly seek the permission of the blogger in case if need for the use of non commercial purposes.

Monday 5 March 2018

25.02.2018 Pulau Carey Revisited

Since I had a temple meeting at Pulau Carey around 2pm, I decided to go earlier and spend a couple of hours with my camera along its main road. As usual, I was greeted by a Crested Serpent Eagle, which was perching on a utility pole.

Crested Serpent Eagle (Spilornis cheela malayensis)

Black Naped Oriole (Oriolus chinensis diffusus)
This time I could manage to take a better picture of a perching Black winged Kite on a tall pine tree. I also found a Purple Heron also perching very high on a pine tree.

Purple Heron (Ardea purpurea manilensis)

Black Winged Kite (Elanus caeruleus)

Black Winged Kite (Elanus caeruleus)
Then I moved to the coastal area but tide is still high for the waders. I could see some dead fish floating on the water, where a small Little Heron feasting on them. There was a juvenile Brahminy Kite which was busy feasting on the dead fish...to my surprise in mid air, while soaring above the coast.

Yellow Bellied Prinia (Prinia flaviventris)

Yellow Vented Bulbul (Pycnonotus goiavier)
There was a temple built at the coastal area for the village goddess "Gangai Amman". I found an idol of Goddess Ganga placed on the main arc of the temple. I had read in some books that the fishing community in India prays to Goddess Ganga to flourish their source of livelihood and for seeking protection against any water related catastrophe. "Makara", the legendary sea creature which looks like a crocodile is Her mount. "Makara" is the very name which resulted the name of Indus Marsh Crocodile a.k.a "the Mugger crocodile" (Crocodilus palustris). My good friend, Muthukumaran, who was born and brought up in Carey Island, mentioned that the temple was initially a small hut built by the early Indian settlers of the estate here. Then, five year ago the settlers built a bigger temple at that very location.

The idol of goddess Ganga at the main arc of the temple
I saw a Crested Serpent Eagle perching on a coconut tree planted near to the temple. after taking some shots of it, I walked along the coast. I saw another Crested Serpent Eagle perching on the oil palm tree, and at a sudden another eagle from out of nowhere charged on it for a battle. They both have they talons clinched to each other and dropped to ground. I cant see much on what is happening on the ground since the bushes were blocking my view. It happened in a split second, therefore I cant shoot the battle. However I am really grateful to witness such an act from those eagles.

Crested Serpent Eagle (Spilornis cheela malayensis)
I walked to the opposite side of the coast, and manage to pick up a Purple Heron. I do feel that Purple Herons, unlike the Grey Herons, prefer to hang out at the freshwater wetland compared to saltwater, since I often find them at freshwater areas. At some distance, they are well camouflaged among the reeds, due to their slim, long neck.

Purple Heron (Ardea purpurea manilensis)
On my way to my car, I spotted a White Collared Kingfisher, which wasn't that shy since it allowed to be at closer distance for a shoot.

White collared Kingfisher (Todiramphus chloris humii)
Since it already 1:30pm, I drove off to Division 2 temple for the annual management meeting. On the way, I stopped at several spots looking for some opportunities to shoot.

At an earthen path in between plantation area, from a distance, I saw something big landed on the ground. Its then laid on the ground while spreading one of its wing. First I thought it could be a Greater Coucal, but this is much bigger. I took my camera and zoomed. To my surprise...its a Crested Serpent Eagle sunning on the ground! Its a rare scene indeed. This could be a way to get rid of the parasites. I tried get closer and closer to get a "near perfect" shot...well it felt unsafe and flapped away from the place.

Crested Serpent Eagle (Spilornis cheela malayensis) sunning on ground
I drove further in Division 2 and saw a Red Wattled Lapwing (very sure...since I know its call) driving off a Crested Serpent Eagle in the mid air. Quite a gut! White Throated Kingfishers are abundant here, one can find them everywhere here perching on trees and electric cables.

White Throated Kingfisher (Halcyon smyrnensis perpulchra)

Plantain Squirrel (Callusciurus notatus)
I do have the habit to thank those birds which really allow me to get closer and gives an opportunity for me to shoot. Its something very much valuable...that only a birder could feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment