Copyright © 2022 Walk With Me. All Rights Reserved. All the photos and information in this blog are under the copyright. Kindly seek the permission of the blogger in case if need for the use of non commercial purposes.

Tuesday 27 March 2018

17.03.2018 - Pulau Carey...with a Migrant

I went to Pulau Carey on 17.03.2018 for temple cleaning works. I reached the spot earlier just to spend an hour plus to shoot the birds. I stopped at a big rain tree (Albinia saman) near a bridge. I was surprised by a group of shrike-like bird foraging for insects and caterpillars on that rain tree. It was a group of Ashy Minivets (a new entry to my birds list). They kept moving actively with soft shrills. Ashy Minivets are considered as migrant here, since they can be found between October and April, annually. The party later joined by a lonely Coppersmith Barbets, Common Ioras, Javan Mynas and Magpie Robins.

Ashy Minivet (Pericrocotus divaricatus)

Ashy Minivet (Pericrocotus divaricatus)

Ashy Minivet (Pericrocotus divaricatus)

Ashy Minivet (Pericrocotus divaricatus)

Zebra Dove (Geopelia striata)
Then I moved to a spot near to settlements of the estate workers. Tall coconut trees are common here. Olive Backed Sunbirds, Dollarbirds and Magpie Robins are common here. I found a "long lost" bird, which was a common species at my neighbourhood in Bidor. It was the Brown Throated Sunbird! This species is associated with coconut trees since they are fond of feeding on nectar from coconut inflorescence. This is also had been indicated in its Malay name, which is " Kelicap Mayang Kelapa". I never found this species in any other places in Selangor before. It is much larger than its much common cousin...the Olive Backed Sunbird.

Brown Throated Sunbird (Anthreptes malacensis)

Olive Backed Sunbird (Cinnyris jugularis)

Oriental Magpie Robin - Female (Copsychus saularis)
I proceed towards the dead pine trees to have look on the Black Winged Kite. I managed to find one, along with White Throated Kingfisher, a pair of Blue Tailed Bee-eater and of course the Yellow Vented Bulbul. Then I head to the temple for the cleaning works.

On my way, I spotted a Crested Serpent Eagle perching on a utility pole. One of its leg looked bit unusual to me. A small snake was coiling around its leg. Meal time I guess. It was my first time to see a Crested Serpent Eagle feeding. I managed to take some shots as well. Then I continued to drive to the temple.

Crested Serpent Eagle (Spilornis cheela malayensis) with a small serpent in between its talon.

Lunch Time: Crested Serpent Eagle (Spilornis cheela malayensis) gulping its prey.

Crested Serpent Eagle (Spilornis cheela malayensis) after meal.

Crested Serpent Eagle (Spilornis cheela malayensis) taking off.

Once the work done, I went to the open land near the temple to see if I could find the Red Wattled Lapwings, since I had spotted one during my previous visit. It was busy harassing a Crested Serpent Eagle in mid air. I manage to find one but to far for my camera. For me, it is the most difficult bird to approach unless with the help of some bushes to hide. White Throated Kingfishers were common at the open land, together with the Blue Tailed Bee-eater. The final shot was a Purple Heron near the junction of the Sime Research Center.

White Throated Kingfisher (Halcyon smyrnensis perpulchra)

White Throated Kingfisher (Halcyon smyrnensis perpulchra)
Spotted Dove (Spilopelia chinensis tigrina)

Purple Heron (Ardea purpurea manilensis)

No comments:

Post a Comment